At one end of the spectrum, Facebook says it’s “simple” and “fun.” On the other end, some are saying it’s Facebook’s version of Google Wave. And just about everyone spent the weekend suggesting that it’s a “Gmail killer.”
“It” is Facebook’s new, Whatever-you-do-don’t-call-it-email-but-hey-here’s-a-Facebook-email-address-for-you email and messaging system. Facebook says it’s more like chat; and it’s definitely not an email killer.
Who’s right? We’ll all decide that collectively as the invites get sent out. Until then, here’s how Facebook’s new Messages system works, via a screenshot-filled PDF distributed at today’s news conference.
How Do I Get The New Facebook Messages?
The new Messages is being rolled out “gradually,” as in over several months. Facebook users can request an invite and cross their fingers.
Continues at: How The New Facebook Messages & Email System Works.
- Facebook Email? Um, not really (janetfouts.com)
- Facebook Messaging Launched-Not Email System (geniusgeeks.com)
- Rumours turn out true: Facebook emails are real and rolling out (techvibes.com)
- Facebook Launches Google Wave!!!! [Greg Laden’s Blog] (scienceblogs.com)
- 4 Action Items For Email Marketers From Facebook’s New Messaging System (hubspot.com)
- Facebook Messaging Will Change Everything (regulargeek.com)
- Inside The War Room: Answering The Questions Behind Facebook Messages (techcrunch.com)
- [How To] Get Facebook Email Invitation (geniusgeeks.com)
- Here’s What Facebook’s New Messages Look Like (businessinsider.com)