Do you know about PokemonGO?
PokémonGO is a mobile app game that uses augmented reality to view the world through your phone and see Pokémon creatures. You capture the creatures, gain points for activities, and use your creatures to claim points of interest in your city. You get out in the world, walk around, and meet people. You reconnect with your childhood.
PokemonGO is really, really fun.
I see a huge opportunity for print to interact with this craze that is already attracting millions of users. Just off the top of my head, here are some ways printers and businesses could use print to interact with PokemonGO:
- Print team t-shirts with clever slogans and personalized with player avatars. As we ran around our neighborhood, we didn’t know who was on our team. There is a strategy to remaining anonymous when playing PokemonGO. However, for those just out to socialize, proclaim your team alliance!
- Hang banners at businesses that are significant Pokemon locations. If I ran one of these businesses, I would have banners welcoming PokemonGO players, special menus and souvenirs.
- Set out Pokemon party signs that list sponsors. Business districts would be smart to chip in and pay for Pokemon incense (lures), so people will come to their area and play the game. Last night, downtown was crawling with people, all with their phones out. Can you imagine how popular your business would be if you sponsored a daily PokemonGO party?
- Wrap vehicles with Pokemon-related graphics. Get your brand out there as a supporter of PokemonGO, and lure those players back to your place of business!
- Follow #PokemonGO on Twitter. If you watch the hashtag for awhile, you’ll see how players are interacting with each other. It will spark your creativity on how your printed items can facilitate those relationships.
Of course, in all these cases, it would be highly strategic to make your print signage interactive. Why?
Because these PokemonGO folks have apps, and they know how to use them!
One thing I love about the PokemonGO trend is that the locations featured in the app are usually printed signs, medallions, engravings, and other “printed” identity features, so that players can recognize the landmarks. Print is already a significant part of this growing game, and I see possibilities for smart businesses and printers!
Can you think of other ways to use print to interact with this popular game and interact with PokemonGO players? Be sure to watch the #PrintChat replay named “#PokemonGO Can Help #Print Thrive” to get even more ideas.
Comment here or find me on Twitter at @sandyhubbard and let me know how you’re capturing the PokemonGO craze!
Sandy Hubbard is a marketing strategist for printing companies. She builds marketing programs that can be sustained over the long haul, with affordable tools and your own people…and without stress! Find Sandy on Twitter at @sandyhubbard each Wednesday at 4 PM ET, assisting #PrintChat host Deborah Corn @PrintMediaCentr with a lively online discussion for printers and those who love print.